BOMB protocol #4.3 Gel extraction

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Phil Oberacker
    Keymaster

Hi everyone,

this is the main discussion space for BOMB protocol #4.3 BOMB Gel extraction
      Here you can post all your questions and feedback!

Phil Oberacker
      Keymaster

reserved space

Timon
        Participant

Hey Everyone,

Our lab is really enjoying the beads, they work great. We have come across some issues when using them for gel extraction however. When we add isopropanol to the dissolved gel and the carboxylated beads we use, the beads tend to clump together. No vortexing, pipetting or even mechanical disruption tends to break the beads apart again at this point. The yield is next to zero because of this. Does anyone have experience with these issues?

Thanks,

Timon

admin
          Keymaster

Admittedly, I have encountered this issue myself. Exactly as you describe.
            At the time I did not find a solution right away and resorted to doing a PEG size cleanup instead.

I will ask my colleague who contributed this particular protocol whether she has any idea as to how this can be solved.

Could you tell me the % of your gel and the weight of gel you dissolved per sample. Assuming that the beads unwantedly bind some of the agarose in the Isoprop sol. it might be that there is simply too much agarose relative the beads.

Cheers

Tim M

Timon
            Participant

Hello Tim, thanks for you response,

I usually use 0.8% agarose gels, and try to dissolve 300mg of gel as a maximum for gel extraction. We tried to double the length of the gel dissolving step, but that did not prevent it. Neither did washing the carboxyl beads in advance, or heating the beadfilm in an attempt to dissolve remaining agarose. Hopefully your colleague has a solution!

Cheers,

Timon

Timon
              Participant

Is there any update on how to avoid these gel extraction issues? Thanks.

Cheers,

Timon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.