8 tube magnetic rack

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Treitli Sebastian
    Participant

Hello,

I would be curious if the magnetic rack for 8 microcentrifuge tubes could be adjusted to fit different magnets. I would like to use 15×10 mm magnets. I tried tinkercad but I am unable to align any blocks with your current holes. It seems that the angle of your holes is specific. Precisely, if somebody from your team would be willing to do I would like to increase the tickness of the back with 1-2 mm and extend the holes for magnets to fit 15x10x2mm magnets.

Thank you in advance,

Sebastian

Treitli Sebastian
      Participant

Later edit.

I noticed that on thingverse, there is a link to tinkercad to edit the same rack design. However, the link is not working anymore. If you have the model on tinkercad, could you please share it with us in order to edit it?

Thank you,

Sebastian

admin
        Keymaster

Ahoy,

The “BOMB PCR 8-Tube Strips compact” – rack as well as the other laser cut rack have been cut with a laser that cuts perpendicular to the material plane. It does not cut at an angle, or rather at a 90˚ one.
          If you look at our design the way we achieve an approximation of an angle is simply by having two layers, one with a wider hole and one underneath with one that is more narrow.
          I assume you are aiming to produce a plate for larger tubes than the 0.2ml pcr strip tubes we designed our plate for?
          Anyhow, this would require a different design altogether because 8 of these magnets would not even fit on our mini plate side by side.

I am not aware that we have uploaded our files to tinkercad or thingiverse but since they are completely open source someone may have done it.  The file we are providing can be found here:

Protocols (https://bomb.bio/protocols/)
          ->Magnetic Racks
          -> Cut Racks

While we are more than happy to share our work with you and everyone else and we even take time to help the community in applying our protocols we are at this stage a completely non profit group comprised of very busy researchers. While I am not saying one of us might not be willing or even keen to come up with a design that works for the magnets you would like to use , don’t expect this to happen anytime soon.
          If you come up with a good, working design in the meantime, please let us know and we are happy to to host it on this website so everyone else can benefit.
          If you are struggling too much with the CAD side of things and you only want to make one or two racks with not too many holes you could even build one using nothing more than a saw, a drill and two drill bits of the right size. If its not a tube strip you want to use this for you you would not even have to have the holes spaced evenly.

Best regards

Tim M.

Treitli Sebastian
          Participant

Hello,

Sorry it was a confusion. I was referring to the printed rack for 8 tubes the “BOMB microtube rack”.

In the end I managed to fix it, by completely re-designing the rack from scratch. Sorry it wasn’t my intention to be rude or something, but some of the links which you have are not anymore available, and editing directly .stl files is not really straightforward, especially for me, who never designed anything in 3D software.

You have the link in your documentation to thingverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3199242 ) and in thingverse you have a link to tinkercad, however that link is not working. Yet the link from thingverse for the BOMB microplate (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3169529 ), has a valid link to the tinkercad design, and makes it very easy and nice to adjust the model if we want.

Anyway if somebody needs to modify the model to fit some specific magnets for themselves here is the link to tinkercad: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/38zjiHHNvhQ
            The holes for the magnets are made to fit 15x10x3 mm magnets with 0.5 mm of the magnet sticking out from the hole to be as close as possible to the tube.
            Sebastian

admin
            Keymaster

Ahoy,

no need to apologize. Rather, it was me who went over board with my response instead of just confirming if we were actually referring to the same plate. Also, not only are the thingiverse files by BOMB but they were also very much uploaded by one of the BOMB team so I guess I should have known about it.
              Anyway, thank you for pointing this out I will let Tomasz know that the link is broken. Also, I am glad you managed to adjust it to your specs.
              Happy extracting and best regards.

Tim M.

Jenny Molloy
              Participant

Hi

I also needed to change the magnet parameters and was having issues with TinkerCAD in my browser so I did a parametric version in OpenSCAD that will generate the rack for as many tubes as you want and you can change the tube, frame and magnet sizes to whatever suits.

https://gitlab.com/open-bioeconomy-lab/parametric-magnetic-tube-racks

Happy for a link to go on the site if it might be useful for someone else! I’m an OpenSCAD newbie so I’m sure further improvements could be made.

Jenny

Phil Oberacker
                Keymaster

Hi Jenny,

as I said on Twitter, it’s a great design and it will be a perfect addition to the 3D printing section! Thanks a lot for the contribution!

Cheers
                  Phil

OMC Healthcare
                  Participant

can I buy this 8 tube micro centrifuge from any commercial source? That will be really helpful if you can provide cat# & source.

Phil Oberacker
                    Keymaster

Well, if you check Google, there are dozent of suppliers, as e.g. Thermo: https://www.thermofisher.com/order/catalog/product/CS15000#/CS15000

You’ll just have to pay between 300 and 400 €/rack. Considering that there are even decent 3D printers in this price range, it would literally be more cost effective ato buy one and print the rack yourself.

Cheers
                      Phil

OMC Healthcare
                      Participant

Thanks for the thermo info. But they don’t sell this item in Bangladesh. I am trying to get the rack from Alibaba & I found following products

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Lab-use-6-8-12-16_60390104949.html?spm=a2700.details.deiletai6.2.f3625f1bKq8Kky

Model#JH1719

Do you think N38 Neodymium(NdFeB) Magnet will work for our application? Please advise.

Phil Oberacker
                        Keymaster

We usually use higher grade, e.g. N45. I assume N38 could also work, but expect the pelleting steps to consume more time. However, the racks in the link suggest prices as low as 18 $. In such a case one could scrape off the N38 magnets and easily replace them wit N45 or N48.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.