Adjusting BOMB protocol #8.1 for SARS-CoV-2 extraction

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Hi everyone,

this is the main discussion space for adjusting BOMB protocol #8.1 RNA extraction from mammalian cells using TRI reagent. for use in COVID-19 sample testing.

Older posts concerning this COVID-19 specific adjustment have been moved from the general RNA extraction Forum to this new topic.

Hi team,

I love your commitment to open science.  I’m co-founder of HelpfulEngineering.org (13,000+ volunteers against Covid-19).

Would a modified version be applicable to RNA extraction of Corona virus from samples from a human?  Presumably we’d change the protocol to remove Step 2 “Pellet the cells via centrifugation at 500g and discard the supernatant”?

Many thanks,

AJP

admin
      Keymaster

Ahoy,

This is currently under consideration I will come back to you shortly.

Cheers

Tim M

TimH
        Keymaster

Hi Alexander,

We are working with several facilities involved in virus testing to optimise modified BOMB protocols for RNA extraction that are both effective and safe. We will update on this as soon as we can, but we would like to underline our commitment to open science – precisely what is needed now when considering failing supply-chain and lives at stake. Protocols and results will be released as soon as they can be.

Best wishes,

TimH

Thank you Tim.  Completely agree.  It’s an absolute honour to receive your message.  Please contact me if you are blocked by any specific IP as currently working with an amazing bunch of people pushing for something like: http://coronaopensource.org/licences

Done a BBC interview last week (11:45+) https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3csy7l6  and will hopefully be talking to more press shortly so you may get press coming your way.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.