BOMB protocol #7.1 gDNA extraction

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    PStepper
    Keymaster

Hi everyone,

this is the main discussion space for BOMB protocol #7.1 gDNA extraction.
      Here you can post all your questions and feedback!

PStepper
      Keymaster

reserved space

AKSchilling
        Participant

Hi,

thanks for your helpful protocols. Do you have or working at a protocol for gDNA extraction for insects?

Tomek
          Keymaster

Dear AKSchiling,

We never tried extracting NA from insects. I suppose this should not be too difficult to optimize. Probably you could follow the “Tissue extraction” protocols, where you would release the NA with ProtK treatment and then GITC buffer for cell lysis and NA capture.

Cheers,

Tomek

TimH
            Keymaster

Hi AK Schilling – sorry for the slow reply – in case you are still wondering whether to give it a go: yes, people in my Department have tried BOMB on insects, following the Tissue extraction protocol as suggested by Tomek. I don’t think the chitin exoskeleton was broken down, but DNA was extracted all the same.

Cheers,

Tim

Audrey McDonald
              Participant

Hi, thanks so much for all the information and protocols!

Do you have any recommendations for modifying the gDNA extraction protocol for plant tissue extractions?

Phil Oberacker
                Keymaster

Hey Audrey,

there is a protocol for plant tissue TNA extraction available (#6.4). The protocol also contains a gDNA version, as you simply do an RNase digest after lysis.

Cheers
                  Phil

Jon Sanders
                  Participant

In your paper, you mention the possibility of substituting in commercially prepared magnetic particles (such as these). We would like to try these out. How exactly are you preparing them? Presumably they are diluted somehow?

TimH
                    Keymaster

Hi Jon – to prepare those beads for gDNA, RNA and TNA extraction take 1 mL of thoroughly resuspended bead mixture and place on a magnetic. Once beads have settled, remove the storage buffer (it contains sodium azide) and resuspend in 1 mL of TE buffer off the magnetic. Repeat process at least twice more and then resuspend in TE. We do this into 50 mL of TE – seems to be a good concentration of beads, however this could likely be altered without making much difference.

Cheers, Tim

Nuria
                      Participant

Hi,

Thank you for sharing these efficient protocols. I am doing gDNA extraction from gonads (ovaries and testis) with your protocol (6.3). However, I am getting low 260/230 ratios. What would you recommend?

Cheers,

admin
                        Keymaster

Ahoy,

As the low 260/230 might be the result of GITC being carried over into to the final elution the first thing you should try is performing one or two additional 80% EtOH wash steps.

Cheers

Tim M

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by admin.
                          Jennifer Kuehl
                          Participant

Hello

I am also getting very low 260/230 ratios.  I tried up to eight 80% ethanol washes, the ratios  improve with more washing but  they are still low ~.6 for gram positive bacteria and 1.7 for gram negative.  I am considering  a larger volumes of 70% ethanol (600ul) for the wash steps or perhaps a secondary bead clean-up.  Any recommendations?

admin
                            Keymaster

Not really, at least nothing you haven’t suggested yourself. I frequently use 70% EtOH for my washes so that should work but if it will solve you issue I cannot tell.  Are you making sure there is no liquid transferred from wash to wash inside the tube lid? Cheers

Emilly
                              Participant

Hello!

I was reading your protocol of gDNA extraction with beads and a got confused with ratio mentioned 2:3:4. How is it used with blood sample and without TE buffer at beggining? It’s 140ul of blood and 20ul magnetic bead?

Best regards.

TimH
                                Keymaster

Hi Emily,

Blood does not really work that well with the 2:3:4 ratio, as there is a lot of liquid in there and (for humans/mammals) not many nucleated cells. You are probably better off going with a 2-step ’tissue’ protocol (#6.3), where you first protK treat in TNES, and then add in 1.5X GITC. From this point on it is basically 2:3:4.

Best wishes, Tim H

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.