Cellulose coated MNP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Oscar
    Participant

Hi Every One
      I’ve been working in a protocol to extract DNA from samples with high protein content. I synthesized both Carboxyl and Silica coated NP, I tried both NP with my samples and the extraction went right but I got better result when I used a Qiagen extraction kit. So, I try the extraction using cellulose microcrystalline instead of the silica and carboxyl coated MNP and I got better result as with the Qiagen kit. My question is: do you know any protocol to perform the synthesis of a cellulose coated magnetic beads?

Thanks in advance for all the answers

Andreas
      Participant

I am interested in the same thing. Did you find anything out?

admin
        Keymaster

Ahoy,

Just so you do not feel like the bomb team is keeping a protocol in secret for making cellulose beads.

Unfortunately this is not the case. I have personally not even been aware that they exist/are being used until now.

Please, should you find something, let us know, we are happy to host good bead protocols (CC).

Cheers

Tim M

admin
          Keymaster

I do not know whether these are suitable for binding Nucleotides but maybe it gets you a little further:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0141813019305537#f0065

Cheers

Tim

Andreas
            Participant

I did post an answer twice, but when I hit the “Submit” button it simply disappears. Did I include too many URLs or is there a technical problem?

let me post it piece-by-piece:

https://www.promega.ca/products/nucleic-acid-extraction/genomic-dna/maxwell-rsc-plant-dna-kit/?catNum=AS1490

Here is a commercial solution. (Which is too expensive for me.)

Andreas
              Participant

here is a description of a DIY method:

Magnetic cellulose beads as support for enzyme immobilization using polyelectrolytes through electrostatic adsorption

However, the description is not very clear to me. Can this protocol really bind cellulose permanently by just dripping it in alcohol?

admin
                Keymaster

Ahoy,

yes indeed.

Since I am more or less the only person (aside from visitors/participants) keeping this forum alive (and mostly spam free) I had to restrict the number of allowed links per post as that is what bots absolutely love to post. Sorry about that.

As to the protocol. I just had a read through and I would mostly concur. I did not read the cited publication about the cellulose solution but other than that yes it seems like “this protocol really bind cellulose permanently by just dripping it in alcohol”.
                  However, the resulting beads are huge. I cannot imagine how you would successfully employ 1 to 2 mm “balls” for your purpose.

Since, as I mentioned before, I have got zero experience or knowledge concerning cellulose beads I am inclined to recommend  something I am far more familiar with.
                  Try alternative binding buffers.
                  I am inclined to say the buffer is at least as important as the binding surface.
                  Also did you give the beads from the link I posted a try?
                  What do you mean by better results? Purity? Yield? Ease of use?
                  Cheers

Tim M

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.