Hillbilly Bead Viral RNA Extraction Protocol – BOMB Community

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Phil Oberacker
    Keymaster

Hey Emily and Bradley, that’s fantastic news! Looking forward to the exact comparison of both 😀

Cheers
      Phil

admin
      Keymaster

Ill chime in. Keep up the great work!

Also, if you want me to I am willing to change the name of the thread to something more elaborate.

Cheers

Tim M

Rachel
        Participant

Great news! We’re looking to use this at our local hospital for COVID19 testing as we have an opentrons and have already had some success with the Hillbilly bead protocol 🙂 If you have an opentrons program that would be amazing to share as we have a magnetic module arriving next week.

admin
          Keymaster

Ahoy,

Happy Easter everyone. I hope things are going OK.
            @Bradley/Emily:

I guess you will ultimately choose one or the other Protocol. Have you made this decision yet?

Cheers

Tim M

Hi Rachel,

If you want there’s a Bomb.Bio / OpenTrons RNA purification protocol from OpenCell here: https://github.com/UK-CoVid19/OpentronDev/blob/master/protocols/RNA%20Extraction%20MD%20V9.py
            With accompanying doc here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11Kfc2KW56N5ggyGUDIIb-YVgKA0DsH8MjnlfujjUXmc/edit

Give me a shout if you need anything.

@Emily/Bradley it would be great to hear how / if you’ve progressed.  Any stumbling blocks you’ve had.  Where you’re based.  I’m collating a list of labs experimenting with / using Bomb.Bio extraction protocol here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13_cSMSHtzMu0l1TCJF3KzCdXo88ZPCc1OqSKuAnQAQQ/edit?usp=sharing   (I’ve added you)

Rachel
            Participant

Hi Alexander,

Great, I’ve just added my details to the spreadsheet. We’ve been using a modification of the protocol for the last three weeks as our only method for clinical samples for testing at our hospital. All automated on an Opentrons with a 300ul multichannel. We optimised the bead quantity to 200ul and could easily go higher with clinical samples but 200ul was a good compromise as we saw a definite drop in quantity of RNA isolated when we dropped to 100ul and 50ul hillbilly beads per sample.

I’m working crazy hours at the moment (as you might imagine) but I’m working on getting the modified protocol released ASAP.

Cheers,

Rachel

Bradley Stevenson
              Participant

Hi everyone,  sorry for the silence. We have essentially moved over to the bomb.bio protocol, no NaCl in our bead prep (just Sera-mag carboxy beads in TE), getting rid of our salt-containing wash step, and using 90 uL of beads. I will get some details and add our information to the database. Also, we just went ahead and engaged the magnet the entire time, without loss of efficiency.

Stay safe,

Brad

Bradley Stevenson
                Participant

p.s. You can change the name of this thread/channel if you want to too!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.