protein binding

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Roger
    Participant

I read that carboxyl coated beads can bind any molecule with an amino group, so perhaps also proteins?

https://www.cytivalifesciences.com/en/us/news-center/magnetic-beads-a-simple-guide-10001

In your experience using carboxyl coated beads in for instance PCR purification or restriction analysis, do these beads also bind polymerase or restriction enzymes?

admin
      Keymaster

Ahoy,

since the binding process of both carboxyl and silica beads is predominantly ionic in nature I agree that Beads aren’t nearly as discriminating as one would hope. However the trick is in the binding solution/buffer, if you use too much salt or solvent you will indeed purify proteins along with DNA/RNA.

From my limited experience with restriction enzymes you will never really get rid of them without inactivation. And, with inactivation they may still be present but I would not know.

If you are asking because you want to know whether it is ok to have beads present during PCR or Digestion.

We have some commercial carbox beads here that clearly say that they inhibit PCR to a certain extend, whether through binding or degradation products I do not know.

I have personally run PCRs with DIY (bomb) silica beads sitting in the tube and it did not seem to interfere.

I would however never do that for difficult/low input samples or something as sensitive as a qPCR.

To sum it up, I think you will have to empirically test whether it poses an issue in your specific application.
        Cheers

Tim M

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.