Ratio of magnetic core particles to reagents

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SilicaFig
    Participant

Let me preface my question with a sincere thanks for making this protocol available. This synthesis has been on my wish list for quite some time as I can see the open up of my investigation opportunities if I manage to get it done right.

Please can you clarify the apparent  discrepancy which appears in the protocol …

22.5 g (wet mass ~1.2 g dry) of magnetic core particles …
      2L of 99% ethanol ….
      50 ml of a 25% ammonia solution …
      45 ml Tetraethyl orthosilicate (TEOS) under constant stirring and incubate
      Add 400 ml of ddH2O …

and this gives a ratio of:
      1g of magnetic core particles, 2 ml TEOS, 88 ml of ethanol, 2.22 ml of 25% ammonia solution , 17.7 ml of water
      which conflicts with the statement found under heading Modifications:
      …. The standard ratio used in the above protocol is : 1g of magnetic core particles, 2 ml TEOS, 20 ml of ethanol, 0.5 ml of 25% ammonia solution , 4 ml of water

???? My calculations give different ratios,  which ones are the correct ones please.

Also is it 22.5 grams of wet magnetic particles or dried?

Many thanks

David

admin
      Keymaster

Hey David,

My sincere apology for completely having missed your question. Considering how long ago you wrote it, I hope you have successfully silica coated MNPs in the meantime.

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question concerning the odd ratio difference. To be honest looking at the protocol I am as befuddled by this as you are. However, I have forwarded the question to the part of the team who should be able to solve this mystery.

What I can tell you is that the 22.5 grams are wet. This amount is pretty much exactly what I was able to harvest from the full scale MNP protocol.

Best regards

Tim M

Phil Oberacker
        Keymaster

Hi David,

you’re completely right! Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy! The correct ratio is the one given in the main protocol, not in the modifications paragraph. We published a more thorough version containing the correct ratios with bio-protocol (https://bio-protocol.org/e3394) and I just formated the protocol on the homepage accordingly. Sorry for the mislead!

As Tim mentioned correctly, the 22.5 g wet mass are wet beads, they are not dried.

I hope your synthesis worked anyway.
          Best regards
          Phil

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.